Thursday, December 10, 2009

Feeder Disaster

As I mentioned, I put out the bird food in the garden and it worked... for a while. Great Spotted and Syrian Woodpeckers and Hawfinch have all visited. But then a few Magpies and Hooded Crows and Feral Pigeons got wind of this free, all-you-can-eat, seed and bird-cake banquet. I am not against the corvids having a meal, I am not one of those that thinks they are just pests that should be exterminated, no, they have a niche and a role to play in the wider scheme of things, too. The Magpies have worked out how to knock the bird-cake of the nails I used to fix them, and then eat the cake on the ground, it is enough for the Hoodies just to hang about and the songbirds keep a distance. I am going to think it through and find a corvid-proof way of feeding the woodpeckers etc... if the crows beat me again, so be it. If they are smarter than me, then, yes.... probably.

No comments: