Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

A few weeks ago Green Woodpecker was a "new" species on my garden list (backyard list for to my American friends). Now, I have another new one, another woody, too. This morning with the balcony door open, I heard a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling in the false acacia tree at the back. First time I have heard it round here, in a sub-urban setting. The nearest resident ones I know are in the woods above the city about 20 minutes away. Europe's woodpeckers are essentially resident and sedentary birds but they do move around, especially at the end of summer. Not true migration, more dispersal. You might recall from an earlier blog that two weeks ago, when guiding a group, I saw a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in a hedge in farmland in the Bukk Hills. The one in my garden is obviously on the move from and to somewhere... I doubt it will stay here.

No comments: