Friday, March 2, 2007

Buda Hills

I spent an hour in the woods above Budapest, the Buda Hills. This is my "local patch" and I've been birding it for years... decades actually. The area of woodland I walk in most is less than half an hour by bus from the city centre, 10 minutes from where I live. Fairly common birds in the woods up there include Nuthatch, Hawfinch and Tree Sparrow and there are 6 species of woodpecker resident. Middle Spotted tends to be in areas with oaks, Lesser Spotteds like broadleaved stands with plenty of dead wood and snags, Great Spotteds are all over the place. There are a couple of pairs of Green and Black Woodpeckers on the route I usually take and at least one pair of Grey-headed. Not bad at all for a capital city. There are no Syrian Woodpeckers in the woods proper but they are not far away in gardens and parks.

No comments: